It happened a couple of months ago. We had a cool event here at ADBI--Jeffrey Sachs and Joseph Stiglitz spoke. It was probably one of the most entertaining events I'll ever attend on the topic of the global reserve system, a generally pretty dry topic. ;) Anyway, Sachs' super smart assistant, Cindy, was basically live-blogging the event via Twitter. I scrolled through the rest of her tweets, saw some of the people she follows, and realized, hey, there's some good stuff on this thing. So, I signed up.

I had previously thought of Twitter as just a Facebook status update overload tool and I really, really don't need to know what this friend ate for lunch and what their food looked like, or how hot and crowded it is while waiting on the platform for the metro to pull up. Boring! But Cindy's twitter feed is full of really interesting articles, news, and retweets mostly related to international development topics... and little tweets here and there about the cool places she's visiting as part of her job (after Tokyo, she and J. Sachs went to Timor Leste!).
So, now I'm up to 88 feeds that I'm following, mostly related to international development, news, and politics. I can really, truly, honestly, no lyin' tell you that I've learned a lot from Twitter. The prospect of grad school is more exciting thinking that I'll be able to rub shoulders every day with other people who are as quick w/ their twitter fingers as they are with their minds. I'm not sure where or when yet for grad school, but I know it'll be fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment