10 May 2011

Sayonara, 日本, for reals... :(

Well, it seems there was at least one casualty of my frenetic travels and mental paralysis: this blog post!! I just came across it today and I don't know why I didn't publish it before--it was all completed, with links and everything already done! Ah, well, it's just in time, sort of, for Father's Day. Enjoy!

- Miki

************************************************************************

Hey, Japan, it's been swell; thanks for the memories. With you I experienced great writing, great fun, great food, great friends, incomparable confusion (for better or worse), OIJ moments (also for better or for worse), and perhaps most valuable of all, the chance to connect with family in a way I never would have had the chance to do otherwise. It seems like it'd take a book (or a blog ;) ) to really sum up everything that's happened here and how I feel about my time here and leaving now. Suffice it to say, I've learned a lot (though, sadly, this is not evident in my Japanese language skills, though my French skills have never been better! Merci, les filles!).

One person deserves a very special mention though: my dad (aka DadEx; aka Bank of Dad; aka that super great guy that let me hang out at his fancy schmance hotel every month, even though it meant he had a roommate and someone mooching dinner and breakfast off him several times a month for the last four years).

Dad, you're great and I could not have handled this country for this long without your monthly visits and emotional support. Also, I couldn't have had any number of super amazing, one-of-a-kind, OWD (only with [my 日本人] dad) moments that you let me tag along for. To name just a few highlights: a split-second but forever memorable view of Mt. Fuji (why climb the thing when you can see this from the comfort of a warm hotel room??), hanging out with real maiko-san at a real ochaya (not this one, but similar idea) in Kyoto, great onsen in Hakone, silly onsen in Hakone (ramen-scented hot springs and fish that nibble on your feet, oh my!), and just all around good father-daughter quality time at izakaya, hanami in Chuo koen, .

Along the way, there have been so many other truly important people, too many to list and too many to worry about hurting should I forgot to mention them--you know who you are, my dears. So, to my brethren and sistren in Japan, I say to you, ハッピトレールズ!I'll miss you crazy kids!

2 comments:

Yoshi said...

Thanks to you, I was able to experience my own country through your eyes and did things I would not have done on my own such as dining at a vegan buffet (more than once!), exploring back-alleys in Kyoto, and, yes, visiting the silly onsen and trying out red wine spa, coffee spa, sake spa, and charcoal spa. Even to this day, I can close my eyes and still smell freshly brewed coffee all around my body. Ah great memories! We had a lot of fun together.

BTW I will be sending you a bill for all my services for DadEx and Cranky Parents Storage Company.

Love, Dad

Yoshi said...

Oh, don't forget the visit to a fantastically decorated rest room at Meguro Gajyoen.