I tested Daniel's literacy level in English as well his numeracy level. He's actually pretty advanced when it comes to writing (he has great penmanship) and math (he can do basic quadratic equations). His listening comprehension needs to most improvement and he's getting that easily by just dealing with us every day. His reading comprehension needs to be improved--he's not at the level yet where I feel he can read a newspaper article without a lot of dictionary help.
But he likes getting homework and I think he'll be much more advanced by the end of the summer. I ended up spending about an hour with him on Wednesday night as well. The added difficulty that I think is common among all Rwandans above a certain age is that they have spent their education using three different languages as different stages--in primary school, it was all in Kinyarwanda, then in middle school, it was in French, then in 2008, all school switched to English, so some people went from the last year in middle school to the first year of high school and on in a totally different language.
No comments:
Post a Comment