
Tonight was pretty awesome. I went to the Democrats Abroad Japan Howard Dean event featuring (Can you guess?) Howard Dean, DNC Chairman and spirit booster extraordinaire! His speech was inspiring and helped redeem the Democratic party for me - not that I'd strayed, but it's nice to be appreciated and told that what we're all saying out here is being heard and acknowledged.
He made lots of good points:
- The Dems panel of candidates looks a lot closer to how it should in 2007 (e.g. a couple white guys, a woman, a half-black-half-white guy, a half-latino-half-white guy, etc.).
- For the Under 30 crowd, the stuff the Republicans are talking about just doesn't matter/make sense.
[Tangent:
Part of what makes Obama so appealing to me (and what made me yell out to my mom in the next room when I saw/heard the guy on "Oprah" that this would be my guy) is that he is fresh, less-tainted, less-jaded. He's been around DC long enough to know the ropes, but not be entrenched in them. I keep saying it, but it bears repeating. There's something Kennedy-esque about Obama that makes me smile and have faith and hope and believe that the States isn't actually going to hell in a handbasket - or, at least, that there's actually someone out there who might manage to grab the basket and bring it back before it gets too far. Tangent over.] - Gay marriage is a Republican issue - they're the ones who keep bringing it up!! The core value that's important for Dems - equal justice and treatment under the law for all Americans... for better or for worse. ;)
Dean came out here to ask for money and to remind us to register and vote (and to get our friends to do likewise - hint! hint!), but also to earn his meal with his spiel. And he totally did his job and it totally worked. Yeah, I know it's politics - yeah, that's his job, etc. But he did it well and he got me going and I'm excited for the next event and the next milestone in this next year leading up to November.
Here's the thing, I'm tired of living abroad and feeling like I've somehow let the whole rest of the world down by being from the country that let this guy keep this job for the last 7 years. I mean, personally, I didn't vote for the guy, so at least that's some weight off my shoulders. But, jeez, he's just awful and he's screwing it up for literally everyone else - every last person on this Earth is affected by the decisions made and actions taken by the President of the United States. That's a responsibility that we shouldn't take lightly but one that I think far too many people overlook, understandably, considering most Americans never live abroad and many never travel abroad. But, from my overseas mouth/fingers to your (possibly homeland) ears/eyes: it sucks out here, from this side of the news, seeing what the rest of the world sees, hearing what the rest of the world says, and feeling what the US's actions do to us all - American and non-American alike.
If you're living abroad and need/want to register for an absentee ballot go to www.VoteFromAbroad.org.
If you're back in those United States and need/want to register, go to www.RockTheVote.org.
FYI, Democrats Abroad is holding a Global Primary on February 5th. If you're a registered DA member (not just in Japan, but globally) by Jan. 31, you can choose to participate in the Global Primary instead of your home state's primary. You can get more info on how to join in on the Global Primary on the Democrats Abroad website.
Let's make this happen!! White House 2008!!
10 comments:
Miki, I think this post is all Gov. Dean (and we) could ask for...thank you so much, it couldn't have happened without you!
Yatta! great post
Miki, Keep up the good work. I hope a lot of people use your links to get a ballot for their home state or to get Global Absentee Ballot. I didn't realize there was a Global Absentee ballot. It is a great way for ex-pats to vote.
By the way, I loved the picture of you with Howard Dean.
Mom
"But, from my overseas mouth/fingers to your (possibly homeland) ears/eyes: it sucks out here, from this side of the news, seeing what the rest of the world sees, hearing what the rest of the world says, and feeling what the US's actions do to us all - American and non-American alike".....Miki I totally agree with you and am going to send you the Washington Post feature on OB from today's paper...however the quote above totally reminds me of Prof. Cohen and how he used to refer to the Belgians (and yes I know how you feel about them)
maggie, i'm sure you can guess how much i paid attention in that class after his day one proclamation. ;) anyway, i'm sure he didn't say it as super clever and cool and non-pretentious as i did. ;)
thanks for the Obama article. I'll read it asap.
terri- i'm so happy, honored, excited, and in awe that I got to BE a part of it. it was really a standout moment for me and a story i'll be telling for a long time. more importantly for me, it took some of the bittersweetness out of this whole run-up year for me. i'm less overwhelmed and more motivated.
mom- thanks for leaving a comment! i'm glad you like the "howard and me" pic. he was great to talk to and great to hear.
isn't he taller than you'd expect?
anon- thanks for stopping by! i'm glad you liked the post! :)
Hi Miki,
Hey Coooooool! Well done!
Anyway, thanks for helping out with the event, and with writing about it. Great to see you last night!
What a night eh?
Since I loved what you wrote, and I didn't end up getting any pics, I'm going to share your blog with my friends.
I'm fairly new to the Blogosphere.
Keep up your entries. Very cool!
Stay in touch. But above all, stay on your path of inspiration and aspiration!
Cheers,
Rohini
that is just too cool. I'm so glad that your faith in the party is being restored!! I can only imagine how interesting the next 11 months will be!!!
And I couldn't agree more w/ your comments about what a crappy president we have and how it's affecting everyone else in the world. I think people tend to forget that.
Ash
Post a Comment