So, last Saturday I was sitting on the patio out in front of the Starbucks in Harajuku. I was alone, waiting for the rest of my study group.
This guy comes walking down the street, dressed all normally in dark jeans and dark coat, smoking a cigarette, walking his pet - you know, just a regular Saturday afternoon activity.
His pet was on a leash. The leash was attached to a collar - a regular old dog collar.
The collar... was attached... to a monkey.
The man was walking his pet monkey down the street. The monkey was walking on all fours. The monkey had very long arms and legs and a long tail. The monkey was skinny and did not have a lot of hair. The monkey and I made eye contact. Then the monkey was gone.
This is a true story.
And, by the way, in case you didn't register it, I saw a f*%&ing monkey walking down the street on a leash the other day.
4 comments:
This is a truly fabulous post! I love that you saw a...what did you see again? Oh yeah, I love that you saw a MONKEY walking down the street. On a leash! LOVE IT!!!
Is that ass-backwards crazy or what??? I mean, btw, in case you didn't catch it the first time, I saw a frickin' monkey on a leash!!!!!!!
BTW, I also love that you made a comment on the actual blog!! :) Thanks, darlin'!
Hi Miki,
Your blog is hilarious. Thanks!
BTW, I once saw a guy walking a pig in Tokyo. He had to attach the leash under the pig's front legs. I assume it would have just slipped off its neck! Hahaha. Even funnier were the reactions of other people walking around. No one even seemed to notice.
Sometimes I feel like I am the only one who notices crazy stuff going on here in this wacked out city. Hahaha.
Gavin
Hi gavin-
welcome to my blog! glad you like it!
that was another crazy thing about my experience too - no one else seemed phased!! i'm sitting there not only in shock of what is walking down the street in front of me, but also the fact that how is it possible that there is no one else there with me to freak out with me that there is a monkey walking a long a backstreet of harajuku past a starbucks. I mean, if there was ever a WTF moment, I think that was it.
Thankfully there was another group of gaijin a few tables over that started making jokes about it after the man and the monkey were out of sight. but still, they were not freaking out as much as i would have been if i'd had 3 fellow witnesses with me.
the next day i was telling this singaporean guy about it and he says, "yes, i think that is quite common in tokyo."
silence and staring at him totally confused from me. "what? you mean, monkeys on leashes?"
"yes, i have seen it several times in shinjuku. you know, circus monkeys or something."
"um, no it's not!!! it's not common to see monkeys on leashes in tokyo!!!" i felt like i was reliving the shock all over again.
Post a Comment