14 December 2008

It's the Depression, Stupid.

First, the economy started to tank (thanks, in no small part, to a bunch of rich guys speculating, trying to get richer).

Then, middle America dried up and brought us the Dustbowl.

And, then, Barack Obama was inaugurated President.

Oh, wait, you thought I was talking about the FIRST Great Depression? No, no, my friends, this describes the Great Crash of '09... 2009 that is. Again, first, the economy. Then, the drought. It even comes equipped with more demand at food banks! Why do I feel like I've heard this all before...?

Dr. Doom (aka Nouriel Roubini, economist and grim reaper) knows what I'm talking about.

Sorry, I gotta take this call, it's John Steinbeck and he wants to talk about the sequel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm living in Florida right now where the unemployment rate is higher than the any other state. It's scary. Every time I go on a job interview employers tell me that as many as thirty other people are applying for the same position.