13 October 2006

Let's party, buddhist style!

Last week my aunt told me that she wanted to take me to a festival on Thursday night. I thought it would be some local festival in the neighboring small city with maybe a small parade and a small crowd of people. I still believed that when I got off the train and basically the entire train got off at the same stop with me. I still believed that when I walked out to the street and saw, in fact, a little parade with a small crowd of people. I still believed that when I left a message for a friend saying that I couldn't meet up that night because I was attending a small, local festival.

When my aunt and I first started walking with the parade, I didn't really notice that there seemed to be a noticeable larger than normal crowd of people around me because I was too preoccupied with all the food stalls and what they were selling. The first big line of people was full of hungry revelers lured in by Japanese cowboys touting barbecue. What are Japanese cowboys, you ask? They're Japanese guys dressed up in denim button-down shirts, leather vests, red neckerchiefs, cowboy hats, and long black aprons. I don't know how authentic the BBQ was, but the outfits were for sure the real deal. (This statement comes with a big WINK and a heavy dose of sarcasm, by the way.) Then there were stalls selling all kinds of food on a stick - mochi on a stick, grilled chicken and beef on a stick, lollipops, cotton candy... oh, and fish on a stick. Oishisoo!! (That means, "Ooh, looks yummy!" Personally, I wasn't thinking that, but I'm sure my dad is probably drooling over this picture.) There was also squid on a stick, for when you're craving something a little more chewy.

Eventually we came to the main road leading to the temple... um, yeah, that's when I finally figured out that this wasn't some local festival. This was a major Buddhist festival with groups from all over Japan participating. Appartently, last year had about 350,000 attendants. I don't know how many were there this year, but it was a lot. Fortunately, I thought to film a bit of the parade to give you guys an idea. Unfortunately, I filmed most of it sideways, so for the best viewing, please tilt your head sideways to the left.

Videos can be accessed at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGGKr9kCbTk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CDH37cJRUk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPv84G81EyA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvkoW7iuRnU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SXkiC1yWiM

Sorry the videos aren't that great, these were my first attempt. Future vids will be better.





























































No comments: