23 November 2006

A different kind of turkey-less Thanksgiving

So, once again, I have spent Thanksgiving without eating turkey. However, this year was significant in that it was turkeyless not for my having declined turkey, but for not having had any turkey around to decline. Although I've spent other Thanksgivings away from home and even away from America, this was my first "uncelebrated" Thanksgiving. In fact, one time when I was in France for Thanksgiving, I had not one turkey around, but actually about TEN roasted chickens, thanks to a language miscommunication with my German friend. We also had all the other trimmings that traditionally accompany the turkey.

I can't say that I miss the smell of a giant roasting bird in the house Thanksgiving morning, but it has been a pretty unremarkable, thankless day. I guess maybe I should've at least made some mashed potatoes, gravy, and a can of corn as a token effort. But, by coincedence, it was a national holiday here in Japan too and I couldn't be bothered to go through the trouble of putting together that meal for one - not to mention that without a handmixer (electric or otherwise), it'd be pretty hard for me to mash potatoes.

Actually, I do have one thing to be thankful for: I'm thankful that I pinched my mom's DVD of the BBC's "Pride & Prejudice" so that I had something great to watch today because it was perfect movie-watching, bumming-around, vegging-out weather. This is one of the reasons that living in a place with seasons is great - you get days that basically demand that you do nothing but watch movies and be - haha - thankful for a good excuse to not be productive. I will study Japanese a little later, but had a good day avoiding it. :)

Anyway, to all my American friends and family at home or abroad, hope you have/had a fantastic Mashed Potatoes Day! Happy Thanksgiving!!

2 comments:

Jo said...

Hilarious pic, Miki.

Miki said...

Glad ya liked it! Vive le dinde!!