16 April 2007

Eddie Joe was here.

I'm soooo behind on posts, I know. I'm super sorry about that, but I've had good reason. First, a month ago, I went to Kyoto for the weekend with my dad. We had a really fun time and I'm in the process of writing that up. Then, Eddie Joe came to visit for almost 3 weeks, so, of course, there's much to write about. Rather than letting the task of writing about Eddie's whole visit overwhelm me, I'm going to write in short stories with lots of pictures and hope they do the 1000-word talking for me that they're supposed to do.

Okay, so, who's Eddie?












Eddie and I lived on the same floor in our dorm at American University. More specifically, Leonard Hall. Even more specifically, the infamous 5th floor. Even more specifically, Room 506 - sort of. Katy and I lived in Room 506 the year after Eddie lived in it, so there is a Leonard Hall bond that goes beyond just the usual clicque-ishness of the 5th floor. Anyway, that's how we became friends and stayed friends - we've got the 506 bond.

As most of you know - at least, I hope you do, there's a standing open invitation to all my friends to come stay with me wherever in the world I might be living. Oddly, I didn't get many takers for Paris - I guess it's not exotic enough for the AU crowd - but I have had a rather sudden line up of guests for Tokyo. Eddie decided to take me up on the offer and readied himself for his first trans-oceanic, non-Spanish-speaking, First World vacation. There will be more stories to come, but just know that Eddie's final verdict on Tokyo was that he loves it here and was super sad to leave this very cool city where he had lots of fun, ate lots of different food (including raw horsemeat), and made lots of new friends. I had a pretty wicked cold for part of Eddie's visit, so, suffice it to say, that probably his craziest stories happened when I wasn't around. You'll just have to ask him about them the next time you see him.



One fun thing that we did that I can tell you about was Eddie's first visit to a gay club. For those of you who know Eddie, you're probably having a heart attack right now. But, let me assure you, it was good times. He came to Tokyo with the attitude of this is a vacation of firsts (first trans-oceanic, first non-Spanish-speaking country, etc.), so why not try whatever is thrown at him. As we both love to dance, I mentioned to him that my GBF (gay boyfriend - he's the best!) is a really, really good dancer and that we should go dancing with him some night. I explained that we didn't have to go to a gay club as Akira (a.k.a. my GBF/DBF = gay/dance boyfriend) is cool with straight clubs too. But with a $10 all-you-can-drink-until-9pm deal and hip-hop music to boot at Aki's fave gay club, Eddie decided to add a visit to a gay club to his list of firsts on this trip.




























As evidenced by the pics, we had tons of fun. The music was great, even if it was a little heavy on the Beyonce at the beginning. It's definitely on my list of fave Tokyo spots now. I did try my best to get my money's worth and managed to consume 2.5 drinks before time was called on our all-you-can-drink extravaganza. Needless to say, Eddie and Aki were definitely better able to take advantage of the deal. After dancing, I headed home to sleep off those 2.5 drinks while Eddie ventured out into the night on his own for his first (of many!) infamous Tokyo all-nighters. Like I said, you'll have to ask him if you wanna know more.

No comments: