25 April 2007

Oh la la! Nouvelle Star!!

Thank you to La Coquette and her sister for opening up the world of French television to me - 2 years after I left. I still contend that French TV generally isn't all that enthralling (read: not interesting at all), but this may be the cherry and sprinkles. Below I have posted a clip from the French version of American Idol, called Nouvelle Star. This guy, Tigane, gets TONS of praise for his "soul," "light," "great tone to his voice," and his willingness and ability to sing "white" songs so well. Yes, folks, the 3rd judge goes on and on about how he loves when "blacks" sing "white" songs and when "whites" sing "black" songs. Um, yeah. Maybe this is why there were riots in France last year. Anybody? Anybody?

Anyway, they're falling all over themselves to praise him and tell him how much they adore his voice. Ugh! Gimme a break!



I think he just turned my day bad.

And maybe, just maybe, these kids should all just generally avoid singing in English - because this chick is making even Sanjaya-mania look good. (Don't ask me why or how I'm following this stuff in Japan. Suffice it to say, I have my sources.)



Okay, the good thing is that this has now made me look forward to studying for my kanji test tomorrow.

p.s. They generally love the chick's rendition of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough," except the first judge, who was just not interested by the song basically.

No comments: