03 April 2008

An addiction that's GOOD for your brain and your soul

I found this site a few months ago and then forgot about it after a few hours of addicted play. I just found it again tonight and it's still addictive... www.FreeRice.com. You've probably heard about it already, but the gist of it is that you play a word game and for every correct answer, you're donating 10 grains of rice to the UN World Food Programme. You can read more about the website in this New York Times article.

I looked around on the internet and it seems that about 1000 grains of rice equals one serving. So, far, I've donated about 4 servings. Apparently the levels go up to 55. My highest is 45, though I've been hovering mainly around the 42/43 mark. I challenge all my fellow word geeks, former SAT teachers, and overall logophiliacs out there to help feed the world's hungry by feeding your addiction.

No comments: