I'm in Vancouver right now, participating the Democrats Abroad Global Convention. Today is the Asia Pacific Regional Caucus, where I was running as a Delegate for the Democratic National Convention (to be held in August in Denver). Alas, I didn't win the post. But, it doesn't matter, I'm invigorated anyway. Sitting in on the Caucus meeting, hearing the statements of the other candidates was amazing and reassuring. The people who are involved in this process and who will be going to the Convention in August are the best of the best, the creamiest of the cream of the crop.
The American Democrat who lives abroad is a special breed. This breed requires creativity, tenacity, perseverance, and dedication. Imagine the effort it takes to get involved in politics at home, back in the States. People sometimes literally knock on your door to ask you to participate. Living abroad, we have to move beyond the usual effort it takes to register to vote on our way into the supermarket. We have to seek out, sometimes from a middle of nowhere sand island in the desert, how to exercise our right to vote and participate in the political process as American citizens.
I am going to find another way to get to Denver. As much as I would have loved to be the Asia Pacific representative at the National Convention, I wasn't going for that just as a means to go to the Convention. I support getting a Democrat in the White House in November. Period. Full stop. End of story. And, I want to be a WITNESS to that process. This year, this election, is historic, people! I wouldn't have chosen to be alive for any other election. This whole experience will be a story for the kids and the grandkids, for sure. And isn't that the measure of a good life story??
2 comments:
Too bad that you did not get selected. But it sounds like you are really enjoying the experience. Have fun. GeckoPants
Hey Miki- awesome to hear about your passion for staying involved in politics while living abroad. Hopefully I can get more involved once my thesis is done. xox
Post a Comment