National health care is gearing up to be a big issue in the coming election. As someone who has experienced the health care systems in the States, France, and Japan, I can tell you without hesitation nor exaggeration that the Universal, Nationalized health care system is the best option. How that program is structured varies country to country, but ultimately the sense of security that guaranteed access to affordable health care that comes with nationalized health care is something whose value cannot be over-emphasized.
To get a more thorough (and more interesting) idea of what I'm talking about, check out PBS Frontline's series "Sick Around the World," which explores universal health care systems in five different countries (including Japan). Props to PBS for making the whole series available to watch online for free. Thanks, PBS!
Also, you've probably at least heard of Michael Moore's "Sicko." If you haven't seen it (and I was reluctant to - as much as I love his movies, they can a be a bit much), you absolutely must. The final part of the movie that takes place in Cuba is heart-wrenching and should put all Americans to shame. I cried tears of shame, sadness, and despair mixed with hope: Is there nothing that can help to change America's system for the better? Do so many Americans care so little for others that they don't see the value in providing sufficient basic health care for all of us? What about just covering the basics of those who need and/or deserve coverage the most: kids, veterans, and the elderly. What hope is there for any progress?
I know it's depressing, but it doesn't have to be. It can be a call to action and for change. Support universal health care measures.
And if you're a Californian, vote for any ballot initiative the Governator puts forward that will give people a taste of the benefits of universal coverage, even if it's just for kids. Once people have got a taste for it, they'll see the benefits.
Finally, Democrats Abroad Japan Secretary Linda Gould is in the process of organizing an information campaign that lets us Americans abroad share our real-life experiences with national health care with the Americans back home. Here's a video she did recently that will give you an idea of why I'm such a supporter of universal health care.
1 comment:
great post and thanks for getting the word out
Post a Comment