09 February 2009

Robin Sparkles for Canadian PM... I'm reconnecting with my love for "How I Met Your Mother"... Update: Canadian Love Manifesto

I love the show "How I Met Your Mother" for many reasons (mainly associated with Barney Stinson), but one stands out: Because making fun of Canada is fun... even for Canadians (because they are cool and know how to make fun of themselves... a quality Americans generally lack when faced with international mocking pressure).

Full disclosure: I'm American, but officially take the stance that Canada totally has it more figured out than America does (universal healthcare; Canadians are biologically engineered to be laid-back and have good comedic timing). However, I also officially take the stance that America has way better TV (exhibits A through C: Degrassi High, Sophie, and Little Mosque on the Prairie... all cool Canadian concepts with cheesy execution [though they do earn back some points because of the Anne of Green Gables miniseries]; exhibits D through F: How I Met Your Mother, Law and Order: Special Victims Unit, and 30 Rock... all cool American concepts with awesome execution and Exhibit D makes fun of Canadians while still giving a Canadian character a shot to be on American TV--ever noticed how there are no Canadian characters on US TV? As if the 51st state doesn't exist?) and, because we sent a bunch of missionaries to steal Hawaii, better travel options.

So, a shout out, to the inspiration for many jokes on "How I Met..."--a bridge, really, helping the people of the "two" countries to bond and understand one another despite our many differences:



Further proof of Canada's biologically engineered laid-backness is that they have not declared war on America despite the following things (plus, let's be honest, it's a logical sense of self-preservation because they know that America has a lot more bombs and guns and serial killers--read: anger management issues--and that we're trigger happy and not responsible artillery-owners):
  1. The South Park movie is basically open-season on all things Canadian, including the Academy Award-nominated song "Blame Canada."
  2. Americans making fun of their accents all the time, eh.
  3. Things like this post.
  4. TV shows like "How I Met Your Mother."
  5. Americans making fun of their cheaper currency ("It's like everything's on sale!").
  6. TV shows like "The Daily Show."

No comments: