Good news! I got a job!! A real one! That pays on a regular basis! And is in a real building and everything!
Here's the scoop:
A couple of weeks ago I went to a Tokyo Vegan Meetup event at a macrobiotic, vegan restaurant called J's Kitchen. The food was great and the location even better - it's in the same area as my Japanese school. I met lots of great and interesting people. I happened to mention that I was looking for work, but that I'd been having a hard time finding a job that would/could accomodate my classes. One of the girls noticed that in the bathroom there was a "help wanted" sign - the only thing was that it was all in Japanese! So, first a "yay!" moment, then an "oh..." moment. I figured that at least I'd found a really easy and good place to eat near my school.
Not surprisingly, the following Wednesday found me there for lunch. I ate a hearty tempeh teriyaki sandwich and soup. When I was cashing out, I asked the woman who was helping me if she was the owner. She said yes. So, I asked her (all this in English, by the way) if she was still looking for staff. She said yes and asked me if I was interested. This time it was my turn to say yes, but I had to add the language caveat - "I'm learning Japanese, but I'm not fluent..." Her response... No problem!! Apparently at least 50% of their clientele is gaijin, so they need English-speaking staff!
I had an interview Friday, she offered me the job on the spot, and I had my first day on Monday. It's long hours (usually 9 or 10 at a stretch, this is after my morning Japanese class), but I get my transportation covered and a free meal AND I get to speak a lot of Japanese to the all-Japanese staff - so I look at it as I'm basically getting paid to improve my Japanese. So far so good! I'll let you know if anything changes - tomorrow (Friday) is my first weekend shift, so keep your fingers, toes, etc., crossed that I don't spill anything on anyone.
By the way, if you're out Tokyo way and you've stumbled on this blog by chance and are looking for a job, they're still hiring!
No comments:
Post a Comment